Last week, Altimeter Group published its report “The Converged Media Imperative,” which explores how paid, owned, and earned media can join together to become a disruptive force in digital marketing strategy.
Converged media represents the utilization of two or more channels (paid, owned, and earned media) working in concert and enabling brands to reach their target audience regardless of channel, medium, or device.
The three media channels are defined as:
- Paid media is classified as display or broadcast advertising (PPC, sponsorships, etc.)
- Owned media is content assets the brand wholly owns or controls (websites, blogs, etc.)
- Earned media is user-generated content created and/or shared by users (social media posts, shares, organic reviews, etc.)
B2B search engine marketers should be at the forefront of converged media, since best practices and opportunities inherent to SEO will only be enhanced by companies embracing this initiative.
B2B SEOs should consider these six critical action items for spearheading the converged media imperative.
Tout the “Pervasive Nature” of Search
SEO results are generated and can enhance almost all B2B marketing initiatives, giving them greater impact in the long term. Some of the ways SEO has positively impacted organizations, leading to improved results for clients, include:
- Videos and webcasts optimization – SEO tactics included link acquisition, keyword research, development, and optimization.
- Microsite development – SEO tactics included keyword optimization, implementation of on-page/on-site SEO best practices, link outreach.
- Blog post development – SEO tactics included link acquisition via blogger outreach, keyword research, on-page (post) keyword optimization.
Search can also be a component of almost every digital marketing initiative, not just public facing search engine technology (Google, Bing, etc.). B2B search professionals lead the responsibility to optimize content marketing asset visibility across platforms, from optimizing internal search mechanisms to establishing visibility in popular social media networks.
Succinctly Tie PPC Reporting to SEO Activity
It can be challenging to tie SEO initiatives to immediate results because the indexing of assets and acquisition of links take time to appreciate value. As a result, it might be easier to dismiss SEO, as pressure for short-term lead generation results mounts.
That is a key difference in comparison to PPC, where traffic,