It’s easy to get overwhelmed with SEO analysis. Knowing and using keyboard shortcuts can help create a real-time connection between your brain and the computer, making it easier to remember random, ADHD induced, yet relevant thoughts.
It’s easy to think of keyboard shortcuts as having two different categories. System shortcuts exist as part of the operating system and are native to the computer. Program shortcuts are specific to a particular program or application.
Editing and Navigating Text
System shortcuts are basic and typically incredibly useful. The well-known keyboard shortcuts copy and paste are excellent examples. Below is Microsoft or Windows specific.
- ctrl and c – Copy
- ctrl and x – Cut
- ctrl and v – Paste
- ctrl and z – Undo
- ctrl and shift and z – Redo
- ctrl and b – Bold
- ctrl and u – Underline
- ctrl and i – Italic
These same shortcuts apply to Mac, but using the Apple modifier key command instead of the Windows specific ctrl.
- command and c – Copy
- command and x – Cut
- command and v – Paste
- command and z – Undo
- command and shift and z – Redo
- command and b – Bold
- command and u – Underline
- command and i – Italic
Shortcuts that allow the ability to navigate around and highlight text quickly make the lists above especially handy. Most text editing programs like Word will default to these system shortcuts, it can change depending on the program.
Add shift to these and it will highlight as you go.
- left, right, up, down – will move the cursor one character to the left, a character to the right, one line up, or a line down
- ctrl (Windows) or command (Mac) and left, right – will skip words
- ctrl (Windows) and up, down – will move cursor to the beginning or end of a paragraph
- home (Windows) – will move cursor to the beginning of a line
- end (Windows) – will move cursor to the end of a line
- command (Mac) and up, down, left, right – will move cursor to the top or the end of a page or left or right of a line
Navigating Programs and Windows
Additionally, these are some general keyboard shortcuts that allow you to manipulate